Thursday, November 08, 2018

Taking A Short Break

That last post was made prior to the midterm elections in the United States. I watched the results and initially was pleased, though not ecstatic. The Democrats did a little better in the House races and the Republicans took a seat more than I had anticipated (Florida) in the Senate. At the state level, I had thought the Democrats would pick up six governorship and they ended up with seven, though not Florida where I thought it was a near certainty until I realized that is the state where hope goes to die.

In the days since though, the numbers continue to improve. As absentee and mail-in votes continue to be counted, more House seats are going to the Democrats. In Arizona the Democratic candidate has just leap frogged over the Republican and is now in the lead. I learned of a number of applet courts in Texas that were flipped. And even Florida MIGHT reverse itself as more votes are counted but as it is Florida I'm going to wait and see.

Watching the Canadian far-right Trump fans has been interesting. Some are claiming the vote was rigged and that Soros stole the election (because of course). Others who have no concept of the American political system -- not a surprise since they don't understand the Canadian system either -- believe that the Senate has veto power over the House so this was really a "red wave" despite.... you know.... reality. And, of course, there are predictions of a civil war where Canadian militia-loving gun nuts will help the American right kill off all the nasty lefties before coming up to Canada and doing the same thing thus ushering in an right-wing Age of Aquarius where the ammunition is unlimited, the Pilsner flows like water, and people can burn tires in their front yards with impunity.

I thought for a while that I might post some of these comments. I still might eventually. However, I decided instead that I was going to take a break for a week or two. I realize that I've been sort of focused on the blog for two straight years with the rise of far-right populism and that this might be a good time to take a bit of a breather.

Now, I am somewhat notorious for ignoring my own good sense and may very well, should something significant occur, start posting and researching tomorrow. And I'll likely still be active on Twitter. Still, I decided that I've earned some "me" time.

See ya'll in a week or two.... or tomorrow. Suffice it to say I'll be back eventually.

1 comment:

Jay Farquharson said...

Thank you again, enjoy your time off as D's win recounts and Court Challenges.