Looks like Kyle McKee won't have to suffer in the cold, cold Calgary Remand Centre any more:
Attempted murder charges dropped against accused Calgary bomber
White supremacist Kyle Robert McKee pleads guilty to making explosives
By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald
May 18, 2010 11:05 AM
CALGARY - A self-professed white supremacist has been absolved of two attempted murder charges relating to homemade bomb being planted outside a northeast townhouse last November.
Crown prosecutor Rajbir Dhillon withdrew those two charges, as well as one count each of arson and possessing a weapon dangerous to the public against Kyle Robert McKee, 24, after he pleaded guilty to one count of making explosives for devices found in a search of his home later the same day as the bomb incident.
He was to be released later on Tuesday after being given double credit by provincial court Judge Peter Barley for five months already spent in remand since his arrest in December.
Defence lawyer Adriano Iovinelli made it clear to court that McKee had maintained his innocence in connection with the Nov. 21 incident at the home on Rundlehorn Drive.
Dhillon told court that Carolyne Anne Kwiatek believed she was the target of two culprits she saw outside her balcony early that morning.
She awoke her boyfriend Tyler Sturrup, who grabbed the two explosive devices, which had been lit, and threw them into the parking lot. One of them exploded and the other failed.
Screws, nails, coins and ratchet bits were found in the other device.
Police were not able to tell what type of liquid was used to make the bombs.
Police then obtained a search warrant for McKee's residence and found similar explosive devices, which led to the guilty plea.
They also found sawed-off rifle stocks and barrels in the home.
McKee was also placed on probation for one year and prohibited from having any contact with either of the victims, as well as a youth who was originally facing the same charges.
Dhillon said he previously withdrew charges against the youth, because of an unlikelihood of conviction.
McKee had been scheduled to face a two-day preliminary hearing starting May 27, which would have been held to determine if there was sufficient evidence to send it to trial at Court of Queen's Bench.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Looks like the Crown decided that they didn't want to bother making a case. After all, when you find explosive materials that can be linked to a bombing, it must be a tough nut to crack. We wonder if McKee had an Arab-sounding name if this little effort would be put into the case?
It's easier to take a plea to lesser charges than to keep Calgarians safe. A pity, but not unexpected.
No doubt the remnants of the Aryan Guard will be celebrating McKee's release, however he does have some pretty strict conditions that he will need to follow in order to stay out of jail.
And we will be watching.